I’ve been a serious writer for a few years now, and I’ve found that the deeper I get into this world, the more it affects my life. Here are ten examples of the effects that writing’s had on my life:
1. I’m taking English 101 at my community college. When I got a 77% on an outline, I really really wondered if explaining that I was a “pantser” would be a good excuse to my professor.
2. I did, however, get an “A” back on my first essay, and the teacher wrote “I rarely give out A’s on the first try. But it was deserved!” Well, thank you teacher! Believe it or not, I have just a little experience with writing. *wink wink*
3. When we did an in-class “live” essay one day, I was one of the few students who finished the whole essay in the 50-minute class period. Why yes, professor, I HAVE been practicing writing super fast! Why? Um, you know, NaNoWriMo and 1,667 words a day.
4. Things like this happen: on aforementioned “live” essay day, we met in the writing center. I was trying to figure out where I was supposed to be in the writing center, so I went to the lady behind the desk. And THIS happened:
Me: Hey there.
Lady: Can I help you?
Lady: You’re wearing a NaNoWriMo shirt!
Me: yes! Yes I am! 🙂
Lady: Oh gosh! You’re wearing this year’s NaNoWriMo shirt! That’s awesome!
Me: Yes I know!!! XD
Lady: See what I’m doing right now? *Points to the papers on her desk* This is for my NaNoWriMo novel!
Me: Dude. This is awesome! *highfive*
5. I personally own no less than fifteen notebooks. I KNOW what makes a good notebook. Therefore, when I go to buy a new journal for myself… well, it’s a rough process, ’cause I’m super picky!
6. I own no less than fifty pens. Therefore, when I go to buy new pens… I stand in the “office supplies” isle for half an hour, stroking the cases, shifting back and forth between one gel pen and another, debating price vs quality…
7. Frequently, I don’t reply to people’s texts. Later, my excuse is usually this: “Sorry, I was writing….”
8. Some nights, I don’t get enough sleep. There are three reasons for this:
1) I’m reading a really really good book. And because I’m a lover of words, I just can’t put it down.
2) I’m writing. A really, really good scene. That just can’t wait until morning.
3) I actually go to bed at a reasonable time. But then, JUST as I’m about to fall asleep, BAM!!!! This genius idea comes crashing into my brain, and if I don’t get up and write it down, it will be lost forever.
9. Coffee. I’m just gonna leave it at that. (Okay, I included a pic of my cool new mug.)
10. Lately, I’ve been thinking this a lot: “Hmm, that sounds like fun. Nope. Wait. It’s in November. Sorry.”
What about you guys? What are some crazy ways that being a writer has effected your life?
P.S. As a writer, I really hope I got the whole “affects vs effects” thing right. 🙂